Sunday, March 9, 2014

Unpaid Internship

Hey Dears,

As I mentioned briefly on my previous posts that i was doing a work placement at Canada Post. 
So I will talk about this placement today. 
Basically, I was fortunate to be part of the placement program. Usually, the Labour studies Department under the Faculty of Arts, offers an opportunity to participate in this program once in every two years. So this is what happens, the co-coordinators place you at a workplace and you have to learn from that workplace while reporting daily to your professor. I find this course a learning experiencing with real life applications. You also have to write a research paper on the project you choose to work on. The course is called LABR4510 and LABR4520. The course also includes a seminar class where you discuss all your coursework and guide you in your writing skills. You do not get paid however you do get credit hours for it.
So, I was placed in a crown corporation-Canada Post. For my fall semester, I worked with Occupational Health and Safety Department where I job shadowed the supervisors. I conducted workplace inspections, daily management meetings, observing how employees do their tasks and whether they apply safety measures and so many other duties that you could think of a safety officer would perform. I was lucky to have seen how safety officers work both outside the plant and inside the plant. At the end of the term placement,  i worked on a safety campaign project on how to deal with stress at the workplace. My project was titled "wellness from stress". In addition, I also had to come up on a safety action plan.

As for the winter semester, I am working with the Labour Relations Officers (LRO) . I worked with Anitha who introduced me to the grievance system, John Sharpe who introduced me into LRO duties, John Dawson and I went deeper into analyzing grievances and I having a review on them then Hannah and I worked mainly on the arbitration process,from the start to the end. Well, it was good and bad that an arbitration hearing was cancelled because we resolved all the files. 
Last week, I just presented my project on "Duty to accommodate on the basis of family status". I'm hoping to attend an arbitration hearing on March 14th if the hearing goes through. 

Overall, I think this work placement is what makes my program unique and special. The fact that Labour studies has this kind of program is a plus plus for a university student like me who is just at the university to get an education and enter the job market and "maybe" go further to specialize. Otherwise, I would recommend this program to anyone so long as they know what they will do with it. You can branch into Law school after or go on with the Human resource side. With me? I don't know what is laying ahead but all i know for now is that i'll be done this year and enter the world of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you choose to use this material or information on my blog please understand you rely at your own risk. views are my own and images are my own. Those copied links are pasted below.
Thanks for your comment