Sunday, October 14, 2012

Labour Studies?

Hey dears,

So if you are wondering what Labour Studies (L.S) is all about, i would love to share my knowledge with you.
So far im doing one major course called working for a living. I have to complete two of each level to acquire my L.S degree. This means, I have to take two courses from 1000 level, two courses from 2000 level and 2 courses from a 3000 level. This is just a General major degree in labour studies if you want to specialize, you may attempt to go further with masters. 

Anyways, As for now... If you are thinking what is L.S? why LS? where should I take a L.S degree? how? who? etc etc and etc....well, ill try answer some of your questions with what i know.
I'm doing my Labour Studies degree as a major and a minor in management from the University of Manitoba. My main prof is David Camfield. a very good prof, he is even making me like the course more and more and even moooooore....he is very interesting. Karen Naylor is also my other prof plus Julie Guard. Okay, it doesnt matter where you acquire your degree, all in all is the usage. If the opportunities are there then grab them as much as you can because a golden chance never comes twice. I thank God i got this chance to pursue a canadian Labour studies degree.

Soo, what are the elements in L.S?
Personally, I would say LS may be more  political but it has both business and Arts qualities although mostly in Arts. Initially, I wanted a HR degree under Bcomm but then since i had to take maths, which i did but it did not go well, so i had to look for a pathway that would led to the same career of dealing with employees and employers which was why i chose L.S.

With L.S, I get to learn topics like the history of work, how the workplace has changed and what could be done to improve the working conditions. Seriously, when you think about it, we spend alot of our lives working, so basically it is essential to know about the workplace, most of it may be logic but then there may be deeper meanings which is what L.S provides.

Yes, I enjoy my course soo much to an extent i decided to write on it hahaaa
We all know, studying is not easy, and we do not just want to "study to study" as my dad says. We all try to Study with a purpose and atleast say we attend a course and know by the end of the course, something will have changed in terms of expanding our knowledge.
However, sometimes we have no choice but to attend a "filler" or an "elective" course just to fulfill a specific  requirement.
Anyways, feel free to share some of your courses in brief and what you like about them. You can send me an email to zarlgal@yahoo.com and i will publish them or you might want to just mention them below as a comment.
Walk with me as i pursue my Labour degree xxx

4 comments:

  1. What's labour studies? Do it have to do with employment improvement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it also deals with employment improvement. Labour studies or Labour relations mainly focuses in how unions operate in the society. Covers areas on workers' rights in relation to the employer although it mainly focuses on decent working conditions for the workplace. Hope i answered your question.

      Delete
    2. yes it also deals with employment improvement. Labour studies or Labour relations mainly focuses in how unions operate in the society. Covers areas on workers' rights in relation to the employer although it mainly focuses on decent working conditions for the workplace. Hope i answered your question.

      Delete
    3. yes it also deals with employment improvement. Labour studies or Labour relations mainly focuses in how unions operate in the society. Covers areas on workers' rights in relation to the employer although it mainly focuses on decent working conditions for the workplace. Hope i answered your question.

      Delete

If you choose to use this material or information on my blog please understand you rely at your own risk. views are my own and images are my own. Those copied links are pasted below.
Thanks for your comment