Sunday, October 14, 2012

Forms of Labour

Usually, we dont exactly take notice of other forms of labour except for the paid labour. If someone says "work", all that comes first in mind is "pay=work". Definitely i had the same thing in mind not untill i walked into my Labour class and learnt about different forms of Labour.
  • Unpaid Domestic work
  • "free" paid labour
  • "unfree" wage labour
  • Volunteer labour
  • Slave labour
We might be familiar to these forms, but i would like to give a very nice example which my prof used during the lecture.
For instance Child care
  • Unpaid Domestic work-when mothers stay at home and take of their kids with no pay of course, nowadays, men too :) *thumbs up*
  • "free" paid labour- is when a nanny or "dada" is hired to take care of the kids and paid for doing so
  • "unfree" wage labour- care-giver or aupair where a nanny goes to a foreign land and takes care of the kids but she or he is only allowed to stay with that family alone. it is 'unfree" because the nanny is tied to that job and can not freely move to another job.
  • Volunteer labour- offering to baby sit for a friend or relative without any form of payment
  • Slave labour- when a slave is bought to look after kids ( common in the past)
Having said that, ill show you some forms of labour in picture :)

My trip with Sabrina and Saning'o to Misigiyo village was volunteer labour :)
My trip with Jessica and Diana to Kibaoni school was also volunteer labour :)
The pleasure of volunteering is self, it just feels nice to be able to share your time to those who need it most. Try volunteering as much as you can, you will be shocked how much happiness will be built within self.
"Free" paid labour, my dada Rukia can move freely move whenever and wherever she wants to leave however at the moment its been years and years with her so she is like my blood SISTER. Love her.

Unpaid Domestic work. I remember Pamcakes and I had to look after the kids in one afternoon. That was fun :)

As for slave labour, I dont have any specific picture of my own but i have one taken from Bagamoyo, last year July, as a sample of a slave.

Finally, unfree wage labour,coming soooooooooooon, im thinking of being an aupair so perhaps if all goes well, i'll update you with a picture. As for now, i have nothing to share for "unfree" wage labour.
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you choose to use this material or information on my blog please understand you rely at your own risk. views are my own and images are my own. Those copied links are pasted below.
Thanks for your comment